Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Oscars 2011

fI love the Oscars! I remember I used to stay up late (East Coast time) just to watch the Oscars in my parents' room. Since my parents didn't encourage TV-watching, we didn't have cable. In order to catch even a runny static still of the Hollywood stars, I would stand a foot away from the TV while holding up the antenna throughout the entire three-plus-hours of programming.

I have cable now. I can sit on my couch, hands-free, and even magically rewind, pause and fast-forward my TV programming. I suppose that's a happy ending -though I still believe no-TV-watching was the best childhood experience my parents ever gave me- but, back to the Oscars.

Was anyone else slightly let-down by the Oscars last night?  Result wise, I was extremely excited Natalie Portman and Colin Firth won. It would have been a huge upset if they hadn't!  I was also very happy Social Network didn't steal the night (sorry, J). After all, the Oscars has -for a few years now- inspired great upset by awarding the golden statue to underdogs, newcomers and outliers alike. This year, although the hosts were "young and hip", the show was... well, to be expected.

Fashion wise, it was also to be expected. Yawn.


Top Three Fashionistas

Anne Hathaway looked amazing in all of her changes.  She also looked like she was trying so much harder as hostess than teleprompter-reading James Franco (I still heart you James-from-Palo-Alto). But, if I had to choose, my favorite of her eight amazing dresses was the Givenchy dress she wore during the opening:



Second place is Cate Blanchett. I've been a huge fan of Cate ever since she lost the Oscar for Best Actress to Gywneth Paltrow in 1998 (huge upset, I tell ya). Fast-forward twelve years, Cate's still fierce (and Givenchy for the win!). The flow of her dress is ethereal and the splash of yellow beading on the shoulder criss-crossing at the back gives it a modern twist and makes the dress truly one-of-a-kind. Fashion wise, this would be number one, but personally, I'm making this my number two because I'm easily woo'ed by sparkles. 


Third place was challenging to place because no one really stood out. I mean, how does Anne put on eight stunning dresses and others fail to impress in even one? Does anyone else feel this way or am I just spoiled by the Lady Gaga's and Katy Perry's of today (I guess they wear "costumes" by definition)?

Hilary Swank and Halle Berry almost clinched third until I decided both silhouettes (dramatic mermaid trains) were "last year."  Mila Kunis was adorable in lavender, but I get so nervous about her having a wardrobe malfunction, I can't bear to post photos. So, finally, I decided to award my personal third place to Sandra Bullock. She gave an altogether different look than what she usually gives us; and, her look channeled the classiness to convey "hey, I'm A-list" and "Best actress coming through!"  You go, Sandy!



You didn't ask, but cutest couple of the night?  Javier and Penelope. 
This is their first public appearance together and she's still sporting the new-mommy glow! 

(Second place: Selena and Justin being uber cute at the Vanity Fair party)



What did you think of the Oscars? Who is your fashion pick for first, second and third?

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...