Thursday, April 15, 2010

Sky High Pumps

Did you know that during times of recession, the height of the women's footwear would be on the rise, literally?  Apparently, according to Elizabeth Semmelhack, author of "Heights of Fashion: A History of the Elevated Shoe", it's our "greater need for escapism".

"We have entered a moment of heightened impracticality in footwear," Semmelhack states, "Heel heights noticeably grew during the Great Depression of the 1930s, the oil crisis in the 1970s, and when the dotcom bubble burst in the 2000s."

 

I recently picked up a pair of 2" heels in gray from Nordstroms.  At first, I thought this would be a cute and girlie backup to my "adult" shoes.  But, for the last two months, I've found myself marching around in these almost everyday without fail.  It's surprisingly become my favorite comfort shoe and I already started searching for more in other colors!

How tall are your heels? 


More details on this phenomenon here or pick up Semmelhack book below.

Heights of Fashion: A History of the Elevated Shoe

2 comments:

  1. Observation: There had been far more heels sightings in D.C., the Flats Capital of America (title bestowed by me), in the recent year or two before I left last fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I have credibility, because I'd been tracking that trend since 2006: http://chendaddy.xanga.com/539802742/short-skirts-stockings-and-boots/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...