Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Relative Value

Whoo.  Sorry for the long pause.  I've been working on an entry about the ingenious way the Nordstrom preview sale works, but I haven't gotten around to finishing it off.  It's full of business mumble jumble, so I'm not sure if it's something that is of interest to the readers of this blog.  But, let me know if it is and I'll try to finish it.  At this point, I'm thinking about abandoning all together since it's gotten much too long.


Anyway, I wanted to present the topic of "relativity" in this post. For example, if you've seen Inception, you may think that reality is... well, "relative". But, since this is more of a retail blog (or a long rolling wish-list), I thought it'd be appropriate to talk about relative value


A good example of something that's of relative value (for most people) is a handbag. Some women pay thousands for designer handbags while others enjoy distributing their income more equally. I guess my only vice would be handbags and potentially vacations -- but only when I'm ON vacation. I'm always "practical" right before I go and then I get so swept away while there that the locals can talk me into anything. What do you guys think?  What has relatively high value to you, but not others? 


Here's an interesting story form 2006 about a Canadian who traded his red paper clip for a house (took a few trades of course).  A great story on relative value.

Or, more recently, an American traded an old cell phone for a porche.  YES.  HE DID IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...